SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Numbers (Numbers Series #1)

Numbers: Book 1 - Rachel Ward See this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://smashattackreads.blogspot.com/2010/08/book-review-numbers-by-rachel-ward.htmlJem and Spider have led hard lives. Jem’s mother died from a drug overdose when she was young and she has been in the foster care system ever since. She hasn’t done well in school, and has no ambition for the future. She is a loner and very negative. Can’t say I blame her, being that she looks into someone’s eyes and sees their death date. I’d become pretty anti-social too! It is quite a secret to harbor. Spider is pretty much the opposite in personality. He is a happy go lucky young man. There’s always a smile on his face and a pep in his step, in spite of his situation. He feels hopeless about his future, as well, and turns to easier ways to make a buck. He lives with his grandmother, who adores him. These 2 characters are thrust into each other’s lives after an explosion occurs at the London Eye. Because of Jem’s ability to see people’s date of death, she knows something horrible is about to occur when a large group of people have the that day’s date hovering over them. She flips out and tells Spider that they must leave immediately. Of course, the explosion occurs and the police are now after these two, as they looked highly suspicious or maybe just important witnesses. Jem and Spider leave town and embark on an adventure to leave the past behind and start over, but their days are numbered…I thought the concept of this book sounded very interesting, and the synopsis intrigued me. Once the London Eye explosion, major event happened, the story took an entirely different route than I expected. I think the time when Jem and Spider were on the run was the best part of the book, but honestly, I was never very engaged or interested in the characters’ fate. It all seemed very predictable to me, especially the ending (and I am not good at predicting). I will read the second book merely because I am interested to see where the story goes, but I hope the author does more with characterization in the next installment.