SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Infinity (Chronicles of Nick Series #1)

Infinity: Chronicles of Nick - Sherrilyn Kenyon Check out this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://smashattackreads.blogspot.com/2010/11/book-review-infinity-by-sherrilyn.htmlMy Plot SynopsisNick Gautier (pronounced Go-Shay) is a down ‘n out, poor-as-dirt, constantly teased ‘n tortured 14 year old boy living in N’awlins with his fierce, sassy mama, Cherise. He is tough and savvy with a lightning quick comeback, but he definitely hasn’t learned the art of choosing your friends wisely because those suckers try to kill him after he botches up a snatch ‘n grab. But who should step in and save his puny lil arse but none other than Kyrian Hunter, Dark-Hunter extraordinaire. Shall we start the drool, ladies?. Yes, yes we shall.So, Nick is quickly thrown into the Dark-Hunters universe, meeting Kyrian, Ash, Simi and a few others, and finds himself up against some gnarly beasties. The shit hits the fan when his classmates start munching on one another like Cheetos, and they seem to be rather interested in the flavor of the day – Nick! While trying to keep his butt off the menu, Nick has to navigate this crazy world while keeping it all hidden from his mom, who is a force to be reckoned with. Along the way. he meets an uber hot chick who actually notices him, but is not all what she seems, as well as some pretty awesome characters from the Dark-Hunter world. And, he discovers some pretty deep ish about himself in the process…My ThoughtsHello, my immortal lover, Ash. Oh, how I’ve missed thee. I may just need to read Acheron again…Oh, wait. This book is about Nick! Sorry. Got sidetracked there. This book definitely isn’t a sexy, steamy PNR. It’s YA, and has enough action in it to last a few books. It’s fun, campy, exciting, treacherous and humorous. Nick is sarcastic and witty, which you all know I love in a character. Unfortunately, his mama doesn’t ever get his humor and is constantly reprimanding him for scaring her half to death. That woman loves her baby boy! Case in point:"You’re the only thing I’ve ever done right in my entire life and if anything ever happened to you, they’d have to dig two graves ‘cause I couldn’t live a single day without my baby beside me.”And boy, does he ever respect her. She is a young, single mom who does what she has to to support her son, and he sticks up for her through it all. Awesomesauce relationship, for sure. YAY for single moms that rock!I think the reason I enjoyed this book so much is because I was familiar with the characters. If I picked this one up without having read the Dark-Hunters series, I’m not sure I would’ve liked it so much. I think it would be a tad confusing because there isn’t a lot of explanation going on. However, you seriously can’t go wrong with Kyrian and Ash, and you certainly have a winner when Simi is involved. When Nick first met her with his extreme lust in his eyes, all I could keep thinking was “Nick, walk away. Fast.” Loved Bubba and Mark too. Great supporting characters, indeed.My Favorite Quotes"I learned a long time ago not to judge people by what they look like, sound like, or by the clothes they wear. Just because a house is nice and shiny out front doesn’t mean it’s not rotting on the inside." (Amen, Kyrian!) "I got a shotgun and a backhoe and no one looks under a septic tank for a dead body.” "The Simi gots some barbecue sauce in her bag. It kind of looks like blood if you squint at it the right way. And it don’t coagulate between your teeth like blood or give you them funky burps, not to mention it tastes a lot better too. Especially over that type A stuff. Bleh! I’d rather eat my shoes. But that O-flavored blood…yum!” She straightened and held one finger up in a gesture that strangely reminded him of Smokey the Bear. “And just remember, kids, three out of four demons all prefer barbecue sauce over hemoglobin.” “You need to stay away from her, Nick. Trust me. Girls ain’t nothing but trouble.”Yea, but it was the only kind of trouble he wanted to launch himself into headfirst and wallow there until he was pruny from it.