SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves Novel)

Raised by Wolves - Jennifer Lynn Barnes See this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://smashattackreads.blogspot.com/2010/08/book-review-raised-by-wolves-by.htmlA human in a werewolf’s world, Bryn is a very unlikely heroine. However, that is exactly why she is so amazing! While she has been taught how to fight by the Alpha, Callum, she doesn’t need a set of canine teeth and claws to win her battles. Bryn is one witty, sarcastic and intelligent young lady and she uses her brains to bring home the win! Throughout the story, Bryn discovers just how unique she is and the reader begins to realize that Bryn is fantastic just the way she is. Bryn is sarcastic, independent and doesn’t like to be told what to do, even by Callum. And if you know anything about pack life, disobeying the Alpha leads to a severe can of whoop ass…The supporting characters, Bryn’s friends, allies and superiors, were all fantastic! I love them all. Bryn’s BFF, Devon was quirky, humorous, gorgeous and completely loyal to Bryn. His penchant for talking in Shakespeare-like speak had me in stitches. Who ever heard of a werewolf drama geek? Love this guy! Lake, one of only 2 female purebred weres in Bryn’s pack, is also Bryn’s close companion. She is fierce, loyal, passionate and funny as hell. She also has an affinity for guns and delivers one of my favorite lines in the book (see below). Callum - Alpha, Bryn’s savior and resident bad-ass - was also very likeable. He is very strict with Bryn but you can just feel the compassion and love he has for her. When the shit hits the fan about halfway through the story, Bryn discovers things about him that tears her world apart. However, I personally never lost faith in Callum. :) Ali, the other human female in the pack, is Bryn’s adoptive mother and has been raising her since she came to the pack at age 4. Ali is very protective of Bryn and makes a drastic move to protect her when the the storyline explodes into chaos. The fights between these 2 are very realistic, and the love they feel for each other is something to be cherished. Oh, and I can’t forget the twins! I don’t think I’ve ever read anything as cute as baby Katie in wolf form!And then there’s Chase. The connection between Bryn and Chase was, literally, electric. I felt like I was transported into their intense, emotional bond and I almost felt embarrassed for prying on what was a very personal union. The scenes where Jennifer describes these two becoming one, feeling each other’s emotions, reading each other’s thoughts, entering each other’s dreams and seeing through each other’s eyes, was nothing short of brilliance, in my opinion. Their relationship transcends this world, seriously.I’ve read two of Jennifer’s previous books, Tattoo and Fate, which are cute, fun YA books about 4 girls who get temporary tattoos and are suddenly part of this magical, mythological world. However, Raised by Wolves is light years apart from those novels, in terms of maturity and writing skill. Jennifer has really grown as a writer and it really shows in this novel. It is eloquent, fierce, humorous and touching as hell.This book, in essence, is excellent. You have an unlikely heroine with a seemingly impossible goal who takes dramatic action to obtain it. She is faced with dreadful opposition yet she still emerges from the fight an improbable winner. It definitely surprised me with the storyline, and I was hooked when certain events began to unravel.PICK THIS ONE UP! It is completely worth it.Favorite quotes!"Luckily for me, I didn't know precisely what it was that I'd done to merit a visit from our pack's leader. There were any number of possibilities, none of which I wanted to openly admit on the off chance that there was something I'd done that he hadn't found out yet.""Casey was in the bed with Ali. And that was where I drew the line. Because eww." "You're going down, Bronwyn. Them's fighting words.""You have no right to tell me-" "You do not want to finish that sentence, missy. You want to sit down, close your mouth, and eat." "How am I supposed to eat with my mouth closed?""Not going to walk me to the door?" I asked, pretending to be shocked at his lack of gallantry. "Of course I am. many would think that a bonny lass such as yerself wouldst be able to stay out of trouble for a distance of fifteen feet, but I know better." "Did you just use the words yerself and wouldst in the same sentence? You can't be a pirate and a courtier at the same time, Dev. It just isn't done.""Ali wrinkled her forehead and cocked her head to the side. Clearly, she hadn't prepared herself for me to be pleasant. After a moment, her eyes narrowed. "What exactly did you and Lake did yesterday?" she asked, like we might have held up a gas station and gone on a crime spree across the country, all in the span of just a few hours. "We went to Mexico, had some tequila, eloped with a pair of drug smugglers, and took part-time jobs as exotic dancers. You know, same old, same old." Ali snorted. "I'm torn on stripper names. It's either going to be Lady Love or Wolfsbane Lane. Thoughts?" Ali threw a onesie at me. "Brat." "Lake breathed out a happy sigh as she approached the row filled with guns. "Matilda was my first, but ladies, you know how to make a girl want to stray."