SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Running from Secrets

Running from Secrets - Stephanie Void Read the full review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/08/review-running-from-secrets-by.htmlThis was a pretty interesting way to tell a story. It is a story within a story, so to speak. After a tragic accident, Bethany begins to dream about Chime and the world of New Velerethland. During waking hours, she begins to write about Chime and her adventures, essentially writing the perilous journey that she soon becomes a part of. Somehow, Bethany has been transported to New Velerethland, meets Chime and joins her on a dangerous mission to prove Chime’s innocence and save her life.Bethany teeters in between “real life” and New Velerethland and begins to question reality altogether. You eventually find out that Bethany is hiding a serious secret form her family, and it seems as though she may have unconsciously created New Velerethland to help her deal with her guilt. However, you are confronted with some people and situations in “real life” that makes you question if New Velerethland really is real. It’s a bizarre, intriguing approach to storytelling. While I enjoyed the way the story was told, the journey through the book was a bit bumpy. The plot was interesting but I did not feel connected to any of the characters. I found myself skipping ahead here and there because I was bored or uninterested in a scene. I liked the ending to the book because we’re provided with closure, but it was way too abrupt for my tastes. I did enjoy the author’s imagination and creativity with this story.