SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Wolfsbane (Nightshade, #2)

Wolfsbane (Nightshade, #2) - Andrea Cremer Check out this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/07/review-wolfsbane-by-andrea-cremer.htmlFor those of you in the know, Nightshade was one of my favorite reads of last year. Wolfsbane picks up right where Nighstahde left off. Calla wakes up to find herself in the company of Searchers, her lifelong enemies. They present to her a proposition, one that she can’t refuse if she wants to save Ren and her pack.The author is a master at characterization. I fell in love with Calla, Ren, Shay, Ansel, Bryn and gang in Nighshade. Especially Shay and Ansel. However, this book is way more serious than Nightshade. Despair hangs in the air and life and death are all too friendly. The character’s personalities are dim because of the treacherous, grim environment. Their spirits are broken, and it hurt to experience them in such a way. I missed their bright, fun, adventurous personalities. We are introduced to new characters, and a few of them stood out to me. Ariadne is a Searcher, and her trade is a portal weaver. She is pretty snarky and I enjoyed her bravery. Connor is also a Searcher and quickly became one of my favorites. He is quite humorous and has a protective personality.Calla and Shay are together through the majority of this book, but Ren is still ever present in Calla’s head. He is a force in her life that she cannot deny, and Shay suffers in silence. The love triangle is not a major part of the plot, thought it remains in the background, never letting the reader, or Calla, forget that she has a serious decision ahead of her.There is a lot of lore and more world building in this installment. We hear many stories that build on the history of the Guardians, Keepers and Searchers, and we learn that what we knew was not completely true. There is also a lot of strategizing and fighting, as Calla and her new friends figure out how to save her pack from the hands of the Keepers, and implement their plans. Oh, speaking of the Keepers. We learn about a certain practice they do and it sickened me.All in all, a nice, solid sequel, full of danger, loyalty, heartbreak, betrayal, action, love and bravery. I really can’t wait for Bloodrose!