SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Graceling

Graceling - Kristin Cashore Read this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/06/review-graceling-by-kristin-cashore.htmlThe Seven Kingdoms. A world full of mystery, treachery and magic. Those with special abilities, such as cooking, fighting or mind-reading, are known as Gracelings. Gracelings are easily recognized by their different colored eyes, and are exploited for their skills. Meet Lady Katsa, niece to King Randa of Middlun. Katsa, who possesses one blue and one green eye, is graced with Killing. Much to her dismay and disgust, her uncle is quite fond of her useful ability. Katsa is sent out on many a mission to try and ‘persuade’ others for her uncle, and has earned herself a fierce reputation. Katsa, however, is not one to be put in a corner. (Yes, that was a Dirty Dancing reference.) While she does not have the courage to stand up to her uncle in the beginning of the story, her journeys and adventures mold her into a Lady with iron confidence, bravery and a spirit that blinds you with pride.Lord Greening Grandemalion, aka Po, is the 7th heir to Lienid, and has arrived in the land of Middluns. He and Katsa are very curious of one another, and Po shows interest in Katsa’s ‘secret’ project. They butt heads, as Katsa is quite different from any other lady in the land. She can’t be bothered with suitors, dresses and children. A turn of events occurs, and Katsa must leave the castle. She accompanies Po on his journey to uncover the truth about a recent kidnapping, yet they discover a whole lot more than they ever imagined! Their journey and adventures were some of my favorite parts of the story. It was very exciting, dangerous and thrilling times.The budding romance in this book is so beautiful. The chemistry between Po and Katsa is evident from the beginning, but Katsa is not one to allow a man into her heart, as she has no interest in ever becoming someone’s wife. However, Po is quite a loyal, worthy, passionate male with some very interesting characteristics of his own. Their love is a slow build and it is one that makes you teary eyed days after reading it. Their dedication, loyalty and passion for the other is brilliantly portrayed.The villain in this book is fantastic and has gone on my Favs list. His Grace is extremely difficult to ignore and it is one that travels among people, in a 6 degrees of separation sort of fashion. He could be across the world and you still run the risk of his Grace controlling you via people who have met people who have met people who have been in his presence. Get it? He was extremely creepy and a horrible, vile man. Another character worth mentioning is Bitterblue. She joins the story halfway through it, and becomes quite a presence. We first meet a scared, helpless young girl of 10 who desperately needs the protection and care of Katsa and Po. However, by the end of the story, she has morphed into a strong, capable, confident young lady. I found her full of spirit and spunk, and her growth throughout made me proud.The prose was so whimsical, words carefully selected and scenes beautifully depicted. This author has great skill and passion and imagination. I am sad that this is her only body of work. After she finishes book 3 of the trilogy, I hope she continues to share her creativity with the world. In short, Graceling is a phenomenal book. There are some twists in the tale that really add to the fantastical elements already present, and turn this tale into one that will keep you up for hours as you devour the danger, passion, courage, dedication, treachery and ferocity found within the pages. I was not prepared for the power, complexity and pure fierceness that was Lady Katsa!