SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance Series #1)

Eternal Rider - Larissa Ione Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/04/blog-tour-eternal-rider-by-larissa-ione.htmlBeing the last lady on the planet that has yet to read the Demonica series by Ione, I felt I needed to get my arse in gear and read something by this beloved author. It’s safe to say that I will be reading more, as I thoroughly enjoyed this first installment in the Lords of Deliverance series, which is set in the Demonica world. From what I’ve read, this book takes place shortly after the conclusion of the Demonica series…I was immediately sucked into the story, and I love the interesting, dark world that Ione has created. I’m all over the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse storyline. And anything involving Greek Mythology. Ares (War), Thanatos (Death), Limos (Famine) and Reseph (Pestilence) are the Horsemen/Horsewoman of the Apocalypse. ;) I won’t go into the history, as that is for you to discover. However, this set of siblings has been cursed to carry the Seals of Armageddon, and they can only be broken via their agimortus. And when their Seals are broken, the apocalypse cometh.This book is about Ares. Aka War, the second horseman. He’s strong, fierce, determined, yet has the ability to be gentle and compassionate. Battle, Ares’ horse, is BOSS. I think he might be my favorite character! And you know what is really cool about the horsemen’s horses? They magically live on their owner’s skin, like a living tattoo, and can be called out when needed. So rad. I need one like yesterday.I enjoyed Cara’s character. She was fierce and strong, even when looking death in the face. She is a gifted healer and has endured trauma that she has not yet dealt with. Cara used to be a Vet and a friend drops off a hellhound puppy that is injured. Cara realizes something is different about this pup, but quickly works her magic and heals the little guy right up. He gives her a big sloppy kiss of thanks. A very special sloppy kiss. And thus, Cara is sucked into a world that she never fathomed could exist. On top of that, she soon becomes the lucky recipient of Ares’ agimortus, and well, he must protect her so he can remain semi-sweet Ares, instead of War.Cara and Ares’ relationship is slow burning, but it hurt so good. Ares is not interested in becoming involved with a human because they die. We see some serious vulnerability from Ares when he finally lets Cara know why he is so guarded. She also has issues of her own, and eventually relays her traumatic past. I loved Ione’s use of quotes from past conversations in the character’s thoughts to illicit emotion, or make them come to a realization. Oh, and the smut was great. The shower scene was by far my favorite smexy scene. :)Reseph is the first horseman of the apocalypse, and his seal hath broken. No longer do his siblings have the funny, warm brother that they loved so much. Now, Pestilence, as his name suggests, spreads disease and chaos like wild fire. He is one sick fock, but I loved the death, gore and destruction that he pretty much bathed in. Hmmm. What does this say about me…? Unfortunately for Cara and Ares, Pestilence is quite looking forward to War, Death and Famine joining the party, and sets out to destroy Ares’ agimortus. Uh oh…