SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Shadow of the Sun: Timeless Series, Book One

Shadow of the Sun - Laura Kreitzer Check out this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://smashattackreads.blogspot.com/2010/11/book-review-shadow-of-sun-by-laura.htmlMy Plot SynopsisMeet Gabriella Moretti, a 20-something that is unique in every way. She’s a brilliant scientist who received her Ph.D. at the tender age of 19! She isn’t very outgoing, doesn’t make friends easily and doesn’t date often. It just ends up being very odd and uncomfortable for both parties. So, she’s turned to her field of study as a steady companion, one she’s extremely interested in. What’s her science of choice, you ask? Well, Gabriella happens to be a supernatural specialist, investigating all things paranormal. Unfortunately, everything she’s examined has been a crap shot…until the day she receives a shipment of three ancient corpses, dating back to 100 B.C., who look as though they have just stepped off the catwalk, and have the uncanny ability to regenerate. Just another day at the office for Gabriella?Think again. Gabriella is excited yet overwhelmed by this discovery and soon finds herself surrounded by more paranormal beings than she could ever dream of! Those beautiful corpses happen to be Angels, and they don’t stay in their boxes, all stiff and pretty. As the bodies come back to life, Gabriella’s life unfolds before her eyes and she discovers secrets about herself and her world that she’d never think possible.My ThoughtsI really enjoyed this book. Gabriella is intelligent, independent, passionate and has a dry, witty personality. She would rather throw herself into the fire than allow another to perish. She is extremely brave given her circumstances, and she has one hell of a cool job, in my opinion. The supporting cast were just as amazing and you will find yourself shedding some tears! I do not want to give anything away, but I have to profess my undying love for Andrew. What an amazing character. I didn’t want the story to end just so I could continue to be connected to him. He is otherworldly, in many ways. *swoon*As the story expanded, I found myself more and more interested in the outcome! There was a certain mystery to the story, as pieces of the plot are introduced to Gabriella through dreams, which are actually memories of an important character. It keeps you guessing and wondering what is in store for her! There was plenty of supernatural throw downs, and unfortunately, some casualties. I was pleased with the lack of tedious details, as I can become quite bored with authors who take 2 pages to describe a doorknob. This didn’t take away from the novel, and you are sent straight into the current plotline while still receiving important background via dreams/memories.Shadow of the Sun is a great novel from a debut author, especially an author with an intense background in environmental science. I find it quite awesome that someone can excel at two very different things. I didn’t enjoy the writing style as much, but the author sure knows how to deliver a story! I was contacted by Obsidian Mountain Publishing to review this book. It was my FIRST contact with a publisher and I was so very excited and honored. I know that the author co-owns the company, but that is beside the point. I was contacted. Woot!I look forward to reading the next in the Timeless series, Soul Stalker!