SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

The Exiled Queen (a Seven Realms Novel) (Seven Realms Novels)

The Exiled Queen - Cinda Williams Chima Book Two in the Seven Realms series demanded my attention from start to finish. When the book opened up, I was nervous and scared for Raisa's situation. Halfway through the book, I was giddy and happy with developments between two characters. At the end of the book, I was back to being freaked out. There was no down time and the author kept me totally engrossed the entire ride. Han's world has turned upside down, and he is now on a journey to discover his past and future. Raisa is in exile until she can figure out how to deal with the treacherous magicians at court. And Amon is in tow, because he would never let Raisa face this alone. All three characters end up at Oden's Ford for educational purposes. Raisa is under disguise and things get interesting...I LOVED the expansion of the world. In this installment, we get Aediion, an alternate world of sorts, that only magicians can visit. The magician has to have visited the exact spot in the real world in order to visit it in Aediion. They are able to alter their appearance while there, however, which can be fun and quite useful. And, if their amulet runs out of juice while they are there...well, bad stuff happens. A certain character, who I will not name because it's a spoiler for the first book, visits Aediion and meets someone who goes by the name of Crow. Crow, a mysterious figure, urges this character to work with him to bring down the magical Bayar family. There is obviously some bad blood there. Can Crow be trusted? I'm still on the fence.Princess Raisa is a character than can definitely hold her own, though I don't see her getting very far without her personal guard and friend, Amon, by her side. Those two make a fierce team and I love their loyalty and dedication to one another. Of course, deeper feelings reside in their hearts that can never be acted upon, given their stations in life. Boo on that rule, I say! As expected, Raisa, makes a love connection with Han during her exile, though it is under devious circumstances, seeing as she needs to remain anonymous and all. I was completely wrapped up in this romantic connection. Some of the scenes made my sappy heart pitter patter, and I sighed a time or five.“I can't play this game if my heart's not in it. That's me personally. I'm not judging anyone else.”“I see,” he said. He tightened his arms around her, brushing his fingers along her collarbone, setting her nerves tingling. “What's your heart saying now?”She wanted to be honest with him, even though she'd probably pay for it. “I'm in trouble,” she whispered.”Of course, seeing as how Raisa is in disguise, I don't foresee her relationship with Han ending well. It makes my heart hurt thinking about his reaction. *whines* By the end of the book, Raisa's anonymity is no more and the magical shit hits the fan! The next book is called The Gray Wolf Throne, which makes me wonder about Raisa's royal future!I was so completely enthralled by this book. And I feel strongly about the characters, both the ones I love and the ones I abhor. One of my comments in my review journal is "Micah is a dirty, rotten arsewipe." I guess I get a British accent when I'm angry. :ÞFavorite QuoteAnd, like a fool, she kissed him back. Kissed him a way that would leave no doubt about the way she felt about him. Kissed him because she knew the chances were slim she'd have very many kisses like that in her lifetime.Which is a sad thing when you're only seventeen.