SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

The Night Circus

The Night Circus - Read this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/08/review-night-circus-by-erin-morgenstern.htmlIt’s not often that you come across a book that is way more experience than plain ole reading. Before I even opened the book, my experience with Le Cirque des Rêves began… It took me a month to read this novel. It was not for lack of interest, but because I would carefully read and absorb and experience the book in small doses so as not to miss anything. The layout of the book is extraordinarily creative and imaginative, and it is quite obvious that the author was intent on providing the reader with much more than just a book. And that she did.All the characters in this book are magical, even the non-magical ones. You will find yourself wrapped in their histories and current situations, and you will laugh, cry and love right along with them. I am quite enamored with twins Poppet and Widget, who play integral roles in the Circus’ future. I am also quite fond of the author’s ability to turn the circus itself into a character. This circus does not “fake” magic, it is infused with it. No one knows when the circus will arrive in town, it just magically appears. It is is worldly, traveling across oceans with ease. It is its own entity, full of wonder and excitement. The circus is the stage for an enchanting competition between two incredibly talented and magical opponents who never expected the end result.One scene I really enjoyed took place inside a tent that a character discovers. It is filled with hundreds of jars, bottles and boxes. When the boy opens a container, his senses are transported. In one container he experiences the ocean and sand, in another the desert heat and silk. One container takes him back to the holidays with his family. To me, this book was a container that transports you to the magical journey within its pages.A group of people who become fascinated and infatuated with the circus’ magic join together as rêveurs. The rêveurs await word on the next location of the circus, and take off to enjoy the circus in its new setting. For those who have read and will read this book, I think it’s safe to say that you will join the rêveurs with me, put on your red scarf, and follow The Night Circus to the end.