SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Matched (Matched Trilogy Series #1)

Matched (Matched Trilogy Series #1) - My SynopsisCassia (love this name!) lives in the future where your life is not yours to live. Everything is decided for you via The Society’s probability measures. They use statistics to map out the population’s existence to ensure long, healthy, happy lives. They pick out the clothes you wear, the food you eat, the job you perform, whom you marry, how many children you have and when you die. Without any choices to make, life should be pretty simple, right?Cassia thought that once, too. In the beginning of the book, Cassia attends her Matching ceremony and finds herself matched with her best friend, Xander. This is a situation that doesn’t occur often, as most people are matched with someone in a different province. As expected, however, Cassia and Xander are thrilled at the results as they know each other inside and out and have a deep bond.When Cassia is alone at home, she pulls out her Match info and pops it into the trusty port screen. Xander’s loving face flashes on the screen, followed by a split second shot of another boy! The boy’s face fades just as fast as it appeared, but Cassia’s life is forever changed. This boy also lives in town, someone she knows: Ky. Officials tell her that Ky was a glitch in the system and Xander is her true Match.Cassia is now faced with her first choice ever.And it is one that she will risk all to make.My ThoughtsMatched was a horrifying book. Being from a country that is ridiculously independent, having no freedom or not being able to make any decisions for yourself is a ludicrous, terrifying thought. However, the beautiful part about this story was the simplicity in the message. What risk do future citizens of the world face , as our planet slowly dies, food shortages occur globally and we run out of room? At what measure will society go to ensure population sustainability?Condie did well with emotional connections in Matched. I felt amazing connections between Cassia and her grandfather, Cassia and Xander and especially, Cassia and Ky. The secret moments between Cassia and Ky were beautiful in their innocence. There is rarely physical contact as it is too risky, so the bond they create grows out of their curiosity and exploration of one another. Cassia also had a great relationship with her family members. Throughout the story, as Cassia questions The Society, she begins to doubt the love between her parents. They were Matched after all, never given the chance to choose someone for their self…I began Match expecting greatness. I will say that it was quite an incredible read, but it did not floor me. This is mainly due to having read a similar book just prior that I really, really loved, so it is no fault of Matched. I am thoroughly look forward to the next in the series, Crossed.My Favorite QuotesEvery minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs.Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?Once you want something, everything changes.Our time together feels like a storm, like a wild wind and rain, like something too big to handle but too powerful to escape.But if you were Matched," I say softly, "What do you think she'd be like?" "You," he says, almost before I've finished. "You.So in the middle of all the noise, I point to the sky. I hope he understands what I mean, because I mean so many things: My heart will always fly his name. I won't go gentle. I'll find a way to soar like the angels in the stories and I will find him. And I know he understands as he looks straight at me, deep into my eyes. His lips move silently, and I know what he says: the words of a poem that only two people in the world know. Tears well up but I blink them away. Because if there is one moment in my life that I want to see clearly, this is it.