SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Crescendo (Hush, Hush Saga)

Crescendo - Becca Fitzpatrick Check out this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://smashattackreads.blogspot.com/2010/11/book-review-crescendo-by-becca.htmlMy Plot SynopsisNora Grey is in love beyond her wildest imagination (and her imagination has definitely run amuck in the past). Her boyfriend, Patch, isn’t your every day guy. He’s a smexy, badass fallen-angel-turned-guardian-angel, and he happens to be Nora’s Guardian. Dating a guardian angel must not be a walk in the park, especially one who has outsmarted the archangels at their own game. And archangels don’t like to be slapped around by their own rules.Once Nora confesses her feelings to Patch, he starts to pull away. In fact, it seems as though some gravitational pull has caught ahold of him and is yanking him closer and closer to Marcie Millar. *barf* Nora is beside herself with grief, and she can’t get a straight answer from Patch. Is he doing this for her own safety, or because Marcie undeniable puts out? We all know Patch can be described as anything but angelic…In the interim, a distant childhood friend of Nora’s – Scotty the Hottie - moves into town and something isn’t quite right about him. Yet, despite warnings from Patch, Nora is determined to live her life without his interference. Nora also begins to have odd dreams about her father, and without Patch around to decipher the meanings, Nora sets out to piece together the truth about her Nephilim blood line.My ThoughtsDue to the situations and mood of the book, we didn’t get a ton of the snarky, sarcastic Patch that I fell in love with in Hush, Hush. He was very serious in this book, given the circumstances. His fun personality poked through a bit in the beginning, but then all was lost to his secret mission that is finally revealed at the end. While I missed this side of Patch, it definitely made sense and fit the story. However, he is still soooo smexy. *cat call*We learn more about the Nephilim and fallen angel history and linkages in this book. We also get an unhealthy, unwanted dose of Marcie Millar. On the bright side, Vee was much more likeable and less annoying in this book. I quite enjoyed her this time around. In a way, she replaced Patch with her witty lines.Nora wasn’t as likeable in this book. She sprouted fire from her mouth on many occasion and it was completely out of character for her. Her logical, independent nature slid into the depths of irrational, i-can’t-live-without-you land. It angers me that once again, a young female character feels as though life can’t go on without her love interest. Ugh. Nora has moments of clarity and refuses to let her loss of Patch rule her existence, but she always slumps back into a depressive state. I get it, I’ve been there, but this seemed so melodramatic. At one point she talked about not continuing on with life, and I became greatly angered. This is such a major issue with young people, and it breaks my heart to know that many young adults do go through with that very decision.I have the same gripe about this book as I did about Hush, Hush. Nora, once again, was left home alone for days at a time. I know this is a fantasy book, but when you are bringing humans into the mix, you have to keep it somewhat realistic.I think the world was better flushed out than Hush, Hush, but I think that is probably common for subsequent books in series. I definitely loved the use of flashbacks and dreams to piece the story together. Patch ended up infiltrating Nora’s dreams to speak with her ‘privately’. I thought that was a neat touch.In the end, I was surprised, although it doesn’t take a lot for me. There are some interesting twists and a serious cliffhanger! I am itching to find out what happens next! We have to wait an entire YEAR for Tempest! So cruel…*sobs*My Favorite Quotes"I’m going to grab a cheeseburger,” I told Patch. “Want anything?” “Nothing on the menu.” I smiled. “Why, Patch, are you flirting with me?"Everything had come into sharp focus : his smooth words, his black, glinting eyes, his broad experience with lies, seduction, women. I'd fallen in love with the devil. "Don’t start. I saw Marcie climb inside your Jeep.”“She needed a ride.”I adopted a hands-on-hips pose. “What kind of ride?”“Not that kind of ride,” he said slowly." “That’s very eco-friendly of you,” Vee told Marcie. “Recycling Nora’s old trash.” "I hung my fingertips on his waistband, tugging him closer. Patch buried his face in the curve of my shoulder, his hands flexing over my back. He gave a low groan."I love you," he murmured into my hair. "I'm happier right now than I ever remember being."