SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

The Eleventh Plague

The Eleventh Plague - Jeff Hirsch Read this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/10/eleventh-plague-dystopian-setting-with.htmlMy interest in the book: The dystopian setting, of course! I’m a sucker for a good dystopian book. I was really drawn to it because of Settler’s Landing. I really love character-driven post-apocalyptic fiction, and was really interested to see how this group of people work together to build anew.My Favorite Characters: My initial interest was in the characters, and unfortunately, my biggest issue is that I didn’t really connect to the characters. *insert sad face* Sure, I felt for Stephen’s situation, especially as the story progressed and certain events occurred. However, I didn’t go through the book really caring, one way or another, about what happened, to anyone. That being said, my favorite characters were outcast Jenny and ADHD Derek. Those two characters felt the most real to me. I always seem to adore the secondary characters. I will say this, however. Stephen grew on me as the book progressed. His thirst for knowledge and use of art in a therapeutic way sang to me.Worldbuilding: I loved the setting of this book! In my mind, I was picturing the movie The Book of Eli. I don’t know how accurate that is to what the author was going for, but it worked for me. After China nuked USA with P11H3 - the eleventh plague – The Collapse occurred. I imagined Stephen and his father traveling long distances as they gathered up trinkets to sell, road hunters that search the lands for slaves, people searching for a semblance of hope in the company of others. The world was definitely a lot more interesting to me than the story or characters.Lasting Impressions: I appreciated the author’s inclusion of racism/discrimination towards Jenny, and it reminded me of how we treated Muslims after 9/11. I love when authors challenge our biases and stereotypes. The setting of this book was my favorite piece, and while I didn’t really connect to any of the characters, I certainly wanted to see them prevail. All in all, it didn’t deliver the total package, but The Eleventh Plague was entertaining and interesting nonetheless.