SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Wake (Watersong, #1)

Wake (Watersong, #1) - Amanda Hocking Courtesy of Smash Attack ReadsInterest in Book: I'm not on the underwater creature feature bandwagon, but it does intrigue me because I love the ocean's inhabitants. When Ashley @ Bookish Brunette offered up this tour, I decided to give it a go. I enjoyed Amanda Hocking's Hollowland well enough. I still need to review that one, too. *sigh*Characters: I have to admit to being really engrossed in the family dynamics. Gemma and her older sister, Harper, have lived with their father for the past 9 years. An unfortunate accident has kept mom from having an active role in their life, though there was a scene near the end of the book that makes me wonder if she will play a larger role later on. The scenes where Gemma and Harper visit with their mother are so touching and realistic.Harper has taken over the mother and wife role in the home. Not literally, of course, but she has definitely shifted the family dynamics and while it shows her love and dedication for her family, it isn't healthy for any of them. Harper needs to live her young life and not put so much pressure on herself. Gemma and Harper's relationship is endearing, as well as hard to watch. I truly felt love and devotion, as well as annoyance and confusion. Emotions that family brings out in us, loud and clear. Harper drives Gemma crazy with her constant (s)mothering. Gemma is in need of some privacy and autonomy, and the only place she can de-stress is the ocean. Her nightly swims keep her sane.Alex, the-nerdy-boy-next-door-who-is-now-filling-out-that-Superman-shirt-nicely is too adorable. I love nerds and geeks, so much so, I married one! I would marry Alex, too, or at least make him a man...whooops. TMI. Alex came off so realistic to me. His personality is full of win and I adore the budding relationship he has with Gemma. Then there is Daniel, an older boy who lives on his boat. He's got his eye on Harper, who shoots the poor dude down on a constant basis. However, when you have a golden personality such as Daniel's, your target is bound to falter at some point. Harper remains a determined hard ass throughout the book, but her shell is slowly cracking, and I love being witness to it all. There is also something very intriguing about Daniel, as he appears immune to the wiles of the next characters...Penn, Lexi and Thea, the mysterious newcomers to the small ocean town, have unnerved the residents of Capri. They are strikingly beautiful and have this creepy yet awesome ability where they can easily influence people. Men are suckers at their feet, and a lot of women become dazed in their presence, too. They become increasingly interested in befriending Gemma, and have big plans for her. Penn was a classic malicious bitch, and I wanted to knock her teeth out on many occasion. I cannot deny what an incredible villain she is!World-Building: Once we learn the lore of the sisters and Gemma's role in their world, I was a little disappointed. I love Greek Mythology, and guessed the sister's true natures very early on. However, the lore and background that Penn reveals to Gemma was not very interesting, to me. Maybe my love for Greek Mythology mucks things up, which could be the case for a lot of books that incorporate these myths into their story lines. On another note, one of their true forms was horrendous, though it felt odd in this story! I was totally imagining a hella creepy character from a dark 1980s Jim Henson movie, and I loved it. Eeeep!Lasting Impressions: Rhiannon Frater mentioned that she saw many parallels to The Lost Boys. Yea, that wicked vampire movie from the 80s, before vampires sparkled and shit. I thought the same thing, having just watched the movie again recently. Not that this is a bad thing, because that movie rocks my face off, but the overall plot and major scenes are very similar. Regardless, I'd like to see how the world expands in the next installment. I am curious to see how Gemma handles her new life, and how Harper, Daniel and Alex try to save her from it.Favorite Scene:"I could win you a goldfish.""I don't think that'd be fair to the goldfish," Gemma said. "I've had about a dozen of them, and they all seem to die within days of me getting them.""Oh, yeah." Alex smiled crookedly. "I remember you making your dad bury them out in the backyard.""They were my pets, and they deserved a proper burial.""I better be careful around you." Alex stepped back from her cautiously, giving her a wide berth. "You're a goldfish mass murderer. I don't know what you're capable of.""Stop!" Gemma laughed. "I didn't kill them on purpose! I was little. I think I overfed them. Out of love, though.""That's even scarier," he teased. "Do you plan to kill me with kindness?""Maybe." She narrowed her eyes at him and tried to look menacing, making him laugh.