SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Ruby Red

Ruby Red - Kerstin Gier Read the entire review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/08/review-ruby-red-by-kerstin-gier.htmlOur protagonist, Gwyneth, is a normal teenage girl born into a family with the time travel gene. You heard me. It’s genetic. Cool, or not cool? Hmmm. I’m still undecided. Her cousin Charlotte has been training her entire life to time travel, as she is the one destined to be the next in line to do so. Or, so we think. Yes, you guessed it. Gwyneth is actually the next in line, unbeknownst to her and the entire family. This is particularly dangerous for Gwyneth, as time jumping is sporadic and uncontrollable, unless you have been prepared and know the “in” people.Gwyneth's first few sporadic jumps in time are my favorite scenes in the story. One night, Gwyneth jumps into the past and ends up being chased through the home because they think she’s a burglar. Needless to say, Gwyneth needs proper training on this newly unwanted talent, so she tells her family, and this is when the meat of the story unfolds.I haven’t read many time travel stories but I admit that they are tons of fun. This particular YA Fantasy novel is set in present-day London, and they travel back in time to different eras in London. The really cool part of the time travel piece is that the people in question travel back in time to the very spot they are currently standing. As you know, structures change over time, so a bedroom in the present day could be a dungeon in the past. I found this interpretation of time travel pretty interesting, and it made the novel more fun and suspenseful. I enjoyed the imagination behind this book, as well as the creep factor of the assumed bad guy. I am intrigued as to what we will uncover in Sapphire Blue…