SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

The Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices, Book 1)

Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare See this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://smashattackreads.blogspot.com/2010/09/book-review-clockwork-angel-by.htmlClare’s Mortal Instrument series is one of my favorite YA series to date, and Jace Wayland is a young man after my heart. ;) I wrote a series synopsis on the Mortal Instruments (http://smashattackreads.blogspot.com/2010/08/series-spotlight-mortal-instruments.html) – make sure you check it out. I knew I would love the prequel series to MI, especially since it’s set in Victorian London and the characters speak in Olde English and have proper manners and such. Much fun.Clockwork Angel introduces us to Tessa, aka Theresa Gray, who moves to Victorian London after her older brother, Nathaniel, requests her presence. Tessa and Nate’s parents are dead, and their Aunt just recently passed, so Tessa has no other options. Plus, she misses her brother dearly. Unfortunately for Tessa, she is greeted by 2 bizarre women, aka the Dark sisters, at the port where she is waiting for Nate. The Dark sisters ramble on about some odd business with her brother, and that she needs to come along with them in order to meet up with him. Lesson #1: Do not ever, under any circumstances, get in a buggy with two creepy, mysterious ladies name Mrs. Dark and Mrs. Black. Even if they produce a handwritten letter and your brother’s ring. K?While being held captive by these two wack-a-doodles, Tessa discovers something very, very interesting about herself. She is Eidolon, aka a shape-changer, and she has been promised to The Magister, a mysterious and powerful presence in Downworld. Then suddenly, one night, William Herondale walks into her life. Literally. He walks right into her bedroom."My name is Herondale," the boy said cheerfully. "William Herondale, but everyone calls me Will. Is this really your room? Not very nice, is it?" He wandered toward the window, pausing to examine the stacks of books on her bedside table, and then the bed itself. He waved a hand at the ropes. "Do you often sleep tied to the bed?"(Oh, thank you Cassandra Clare! While Will doesn’t yet stand up to Jace’s personality, he definitely provided me with much snarky, sarcastic, pompous goodness. Thank you for writing another character like Jace. I mean, really – thank you!)Needless to say, Will is a Shadowhunter and rescues Tessa from her hellish situation. Tessa is then thrust into the world of the Shadowhunters, and the story escalates from there on out! Lots of action, betrayal, mystery, fierce loyalty (Will + Jem =