SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Shift (The Shade Trilogy)

Shift - Jeri Smith-Ready Read this review at Smash Attack Reads!: http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/05/double-review-shade-shift-by-jeri-smith.htmlThere is much more emotion in this book. My heart broke for Aura, especially, because of the ugly situation that she’s in. Love triangles are never easy, but Aura’s predicament takes the cake. She is truly stuck between holding on to her first love and desperately trying to move on at the same time. Logan will always remain in her heart, but she can’t deny the ache she feels when Zach is not near. Zach is a passionate, considerate soul who just takes my breath away, really. I’m pretty smitten with him. And the author dropped a pretty rad surprise on us during the prom scene. I love her for that! Ok, back to Aura. As the story progresses, she begins to realize that he has invaded her heart and that their relationship is pretty pure."Zachary fit me, like the answer to an equation I’d forgotten how to solve."The pain felt by Aura, Logan’s family and close friends is so poignant, and it alters their relationships. In particular, Logan’s older brother, Mickey, has not dealt with his grief and he’s overcome with depression. His character remains in the background, but being who I am, I couldn’t help but pick up on the struggles he was enduring. I really want to give him a hug and take him to a local therapist. My heart also goes out to Logan’s younger brother, Dylan, who is the only family member that can see Logan. His character matures greatly in this book and he snagged my heart!Logan is a character that I’m constantly on the fence about. His sincerity felt real, at times, but I was really angry with his character at other times. I felt some of his decisions and actions were selfish as hell. But then he’d have this wow moment, where I’d say to myself “who is this guy and what did you do with Logan?” All his loved ones feel like they can’t move on until Logan does, because even in death, he still demands an audience.“It’s like we’re back in the neighborhood playing freeze tag, and Logan’s It. Everyone he touches has to stop living, until we’re all frozen.”There’s some great action near the end of the novel. These books also seems mature for the genre, or maybe I’m viewing Aura as a more mature protagonist. Of course, there is much more to this book than the love triangle. The mystery that surrounds Aura and the Shift is revealed slowly through the books, and I think the end of this novel sets up a nice conclusion. Shine, the final installment, is due out in 2012.