SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin Books)

Tangled Threads - Jennifer Estep Courtesy of Smash Attack ReadsThis was NO DOUBT my favorite book in the series so far. It was exciting and entertaining from start to finish. The villain was the best one yet and really gave Gin a run for her money. Plus, lots of characterization and relationship building that turned my heart to mush. Other readers have mentioned that the author's use of recapping events in past books is a turn-off, and this is the first time it actually bored me. I skipped over a few of them. However, I like that the author does this, because for those who had to wait a year between books or who don't read them back-to-back, this can be really helpful.World-Building: Woooooo, baby! The world keeps on expanding as we are given little details into the history of Gin's family. I really love the insight that we are continuously granted as we learn things right along with Gin, wondering how the details have played a role in her entire existence up to this point. The details about Fletcher in this book were surprising, to me, but I just loved the connections. He harbors secrets at every turn, it seems.Gin is still hell-bent on bringing down Mab and her empire. Being the mastermind assassin that she is, Gin has remained anonymous, even though she has met Mab face-to-face a few times. We are presented with an entirely new elemental in this book, and she packed a friggin punch! Gin might be a  BAMF, but this villain spiced up the action! I admit that having electricity/lightning for an elemental power is awe-inducing, not to mention difficult as hell to beat. But not impossible...Characters: Gin was on high alert throughout this entire book. She was faced with tasks and enemies she has never had to deal with, and while her repertoire is packed full of kick ass, Gin nearly lost the fight a time or two. She still dishes out her deadliest, and her smart-ass mouth makes me swoon."Actually, I think you know all about Jonah’s little bitch, I said.  ‘After all, you’re the one fucking him, not me.  Tell me, do you just bend over and take it?  Or do you have to do all the work?  Because McAllister strikes me as being a lazy bastard in bed."Gin really grew in this book. Her heart is opening to the idea of love, both romantic and otherwise. She has kept her emotions on lock down...But I'd much rather face a dozen assassins like LaFleur any night than deal with something as tricky, convoluted, and fragile as my feelings....but some sneaky feelings have nestled in and made themselves at home. I truly loved seeing the softer side of her, and I'm so happy that she is experiencing something every person deserves to experience.  Owen is continuing to open up his heart to Gin, and there is yet another hot (protected!) sex scene. Yum. Other readers have mentioned that they are unsure about Owen, wondering how trustworthy he really is. I haven't had those thoughts ever, maybe because I'm way too scared of that scenario for Gin. I hope it never comes to fruition.There are some fun moments with Finn in this book and I am so stoked that he is getting some action! Not that he lacks in that department, but hopefully something more real is in his future.Favorite Quote"That's why you look so tired, isn't it?" I murmured. "You used up all your magic to find me last night."Owen shrugged as though it was nothing. But it wasn't nothing to me. Besides Finn and the Deveraux sisters, I couldn't even remember the last time someone had cared enough to come looking for me when I was in trouble. I was so used to being on my own for so long, always being the tough, strong, capable one, that I'd forgotten how nice it felt to have someone else look out for me.To have someone else care about me.And just like that, the fragile strings of my feelings for Owen joined together, all the tangled threads wrapping around and weaving their way through my heart. Scary and painful in some ways, but necessary in others too.