SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1)

Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) - Thea Harrison Read this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/09/dragon-bound-thea-harrison-is-pnr-hero.htmlI was really excited to start this series. It was getting major praise from book bloggers, and by the title alone, I knew there was going to be a great mix of paranormal/fantasy beasties found within the pages. I recently voiced wanting unique/uncommon paranormal beasties in books, so I was really interested in what this author might present. She didn’t let me down! This world is home to a Dragon, Fae, Elves, Gryphons, Gargoyles, Thunderbirds, Harpies, Goblins, Nightkind (Vampyres) and more. It’s quite a smorgasbord and I loved it! Alpha males are hot, right? You agree. Don’t lie. Well, Dragos is about as Alpha as one can be. This Wyr (a collection of shapeshifting beasties) is as old as the earth, with an ego the size of the planet and a personality as hot as the sun. He’s the leader of the Wyr demesne. He doesn’t ask questions. He commands. Without saying thank you."In a way, that meant he embodied all stages of evolution at once – beast and predator, magician and aristocrat, violence and intellectualism. He was not so sure he had acquired humanlike emotions. He had certainly not acquired their morality. Perhaps his greatest achievement was law."Ok, so I’m making him sound like a big ole jerk. He’s not. He just had to tap in to his touchy-feely side, which he does quite magnificently……all because of Pia. Sweet, fierce, independent Pia, who becomes quite a mystery to all. I won’t giveaway her true identity because it was magnificent to discover. She has a few tricks up her sleeve, as well, as she she broke into and stole something from a supposedly hidden, impenetrable hoard of goodies owned by a hot-headed dragon. Needless to say, he hunts her down to punish her, and when they meet, he realizes that he really does want to punish her. *wink* Ok, I’m being slightly dirty now but seriously, Dragos and Pia = Epic Smex. They move mountains, people."Blind lust took him over then, scorching him in a way he had never experienced before. He fell prey to it and to her, body and old wicked soul. The beguiler became the beguiled. The sensual undulation of that graceful female form underneath his felt like some kind of epiphany. Eating at her plump, eager mouth made him ravenous. All he could think about was plunging his cock inside her in an ecstasy of ravishment."Of course, there is great action in between all the mountain moving, and our two lovers find out that they really do make one hell of team. Dragos has quite an enemy in Dark Fae King, Urien, and soon enough, Pia finds herself smack in the middle of their epic war. Together, Pia and Dragos battle goblins and Dark Fae and ultimately, Urien himself. Urien, you’re going down, bud! Oh, speaking of the Fae, I must profess my love for Tricks, aka Thistle Perrywinkle. She’s Dragos’ Fae PR rep, and she is a hoot! She delivers some great snark and I knew she would be a favorite of the series. Plus, the tight knit unit that makes up Dragos and his team are just all awesome. What a family!All in all, the plot is really intriguing and well thought-out, fast paced without leaving you in the dust, and damn entertaining. The characterization was fantastic. It was pretty awesome to see Dragos learn something new about himself at his age. You can teach an old dragon new tricks! The progression of Pia and Dragos’ relationship was sweet, romantic and heartbreaking at times, while remaining very believable. I really enjoyed the world building and thoroughly look forward to learning more in future books. Thea Harrison is a breath of fresh air in the genre!