SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Nightfall (Dark Age Dawning Series #1)

Nightfall - Ellen Connor Read this review at Smash Attack Reads: http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/08/review-nightfall-by-ellen-connor.html4.5 hootsI could tell immediately that I would enjoy this book. Someone mentioned on Twitter not long ago that they enjoy the Dystopian genre but really wanted to read something post-apocalyptic. In other words, they wanted to read a book that took place right after major catastrophe that changes the world forever. Well, I gotta say…this is the book! It was refreshing to read a post-apocalyptic storyline, even though I love the dystopian genre.We first meet Jenna Barclay, daughter of nutty end-of-the-world prophet, Mitch Barclay, as a mysterious man holds her to gunpoint and kidnaps her. A crazy way to begin a story, but you soon learn that the kidnapper, Mason, isn’t a maniacal rapist. He’s only keeping a promise to Mitch, the same nut-job who provided him with the only semblance of family. Mitch asked Mason to keep Jenna safe when the shit hits the fan, as she will prove to be invaluable in the new Dark Age. And let me just say, the shit hath hitteth the fan.Holed up in a cabin on the outskirts of town, Jenna slowly realizes that Mason might be speaking truth, as he produces a letter from her father, addressed to her. In the letter, Mitch explains everything. The Dark Age of Magic is real, and Jenna must survive it. Jenna and Mason are anything but friendly towards one another in the beginning, and even less so when Jenna cannot turn away a group of desperate people that Mason otherwise feels are dead weight. The group eventually decides to find the one sole survivor broadcasting over analog radio, which means leaving the safety of their cabin into the terrifying and extremely hazardous-to-your-life unknown. The party of characters have a dangerous, horrifying trek ahead of them, and their numbers undoubtedly dwindle. They fight their way through terrifying beasties in order to stay alive and save the human race.The magical, twisted, foul creatures in this story were quite horrifying, and the scenes where human and beastie meet are nail-bitters! There is a serious twist to the story and it hit me like a Mack truck. I was not expecting it, whatsoever, and I must admit that I really enjoyed the turn in the story. It worked. It felt right and made this interesting, terrifying story even more intriguing. In the midst of mayhem, love blooms with passionate ferocity. I really enjoyed as Jenna and Mason fought their feelings for each other, and then I really enjoyed their fight to remain together. Great chemistry. This book has a bit of everything: horror, romance, action, desperation, suspense, gore, tragedy, sex, and humanity. If you like post-apocalyptic / dystopian fantasy fiction, I think this one will be a great addition to your bookshelf. I thoroughly look forward to the sequel.