SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

The Iron Duke (Iron Seas Series #1)

The Iron Duke (Iron Seas Series #1) - Smash Attack Reads: http://smashattackreads.blogspot.com/2011/01/book-review-iron-duke-by-meljean-brook.htmlMy ThoughtsWhat an interesting world the author has created! I was quite fascinated with the steampunk technology, automatons, nanoagents, mechanical flesh (say what?), zombies, eyes that can detect temperature and therefore, detect lies, and of course, the fantastic manners, fashion and language of Victorian/Edwardian England.The two main characters, Mina and Rhys, are both very interesting characters. Mina has an ugly history and has done everything in her power to overcome her tragic background. Rhys is used to getting his way, and immediately lusts for Mina,…The first opportunity he got, Rhys was going to shag her blind.who wants nothing to do with him sexually – at first.He focused on the inspector, instead, though she didn't want him watching her. But Rhys liked the way she looked, particularly when her expression suggested that she'd prefer to have a gun aimed at his head rather than sit across from him in a private railcar.Rhys refuses to be ignored and turned away, and a hot pursuit ensues. Both characters struggle with their emotions for one another, and I enjoyed the internal fight that both characters experience. It was very apparent that they would resist their connection until the very end, and boy was it fun watching them go back and forth between love and hate.Confounding woman. He wanted to drag her close and kiss her senseless.Near the end, Rhys fights tooth and nail for her honor yet Mina still resists his affection for various reasons. It is so heartbreaking and a specific scene practically brought me to tears.I really enjoyed the social issues brought to light, and always appreciate an author who is willing and courageous enough to ‘speak out’ in such a way. Issues of discrimination, racism, classism, power struggles, and sexism dominate this world. Mina and Rhys deal with various levels of these issues and you can see how easily these things destroy lives.If you plan to pick this up because you need a light, easy read - think again. The story is quite intriguing and moves at a quick pace, leaving the reader a tad confused with all of the terms, characters and schemes occurring. There is a lot going on, which keeps you on your toes. Your attention is most definitely needed.A major thanks to Meljean for her way with words, intense imagination, fabulous characterization, incredible worldbuilding and slap-yo-ass sex scenes. I wholeheartedly love the steampunk genre and must make a better attempt to read it!Other QuotesNo armor. No buckles. Only a few layers of cotton and ten feet of parlor separated his mouth from her breasts."I'll kiss you until we can't breathe. I'll strip you naked and taste every inch of you. Then I'll shag you until neither of us can see straight."She did like him...sometimes. When he was not a complete knacker.