SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden Series #1)

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden Series #1) - Read this review at Smash Attack Reads!SMASHTASTIC ENTERTAINMENT QUICKIE: Oh. Em. Squee! EPIC storytelling!INTEREST IN THE BOOK: This may have not shown up on my radar had Kt from A Book Obsession not tweeted to tell me about the ZOMPIRES in the book. I mean, really? Freaking Zompires? I HAD to witness it. I had no clue what I was getting myself into and this book turned out to be way more than I anticipated.WORLD-BUILDING: This is my first venture into Julie Kagawa’s mind, as I have yet to read her Iron Fey series. That being said, I really had no idea what to expect in terms of world-building, which as you know, is my favorite piece of any story. I will state that she blew. me. away. This dystopian setting was epic, as Kelly at Reading the Paranormal so aptly described. Deteriorating cities were described in great detail, with ravaged skyscrapers giving these ghost towns an eerie feel. The author did a fabulous job at conveying our current environment as complete wreckage in the future. Obliterated, disintegrating, disappearing. The Chicago we know today is a water-world of sorts in this setting, offering many different obstacles and hazards for our characters. I particularly loved this setting the most.Due to a virus eradicating much of the human population, the vampire race rules in this future world. That being said, people are not very hopeful and live in constant fear. The larger populations of people are where, of course, you will find the larger population of vampires, who request services and sustenance in exchange for the basics: shelter, food, protection. This last one is a bit iffy."In this world, the only law was to obey the Masters, and the Masters didn’t care if their cattle occasionally turned on each other. Run into a bored, hungry gang, and you’ll be lucky if all they did was kill you."On the flip side, there are certain humans who prefer to face this big, bad, scary world alone. These unregistered humans are given no shelter, no food, no protection. Nada. Zilch. Needless to say, they have learned how to survive in this desolate, horrific environment, among the gangs, vampires and other, more sinister and dangerous creatures: the rabids, or how I will forever refer to them – ZOMPIRES! The lore behind the rabids is extremely interesting and given to us in bits and pieces throughout the book. We also come face to face with these creatures on a few occasion, and I cannot express the pant-shitting fear I had during those scenes! I was so impressed with the author’s ability to instill fear and horror in me when the rabids were front and center. I kid you not, I was trembling in me skivvies, peeps!CHARACTERS: Allison “Allie” Sekemoto is an unregistered living on the outskirts of vampire society, doing her best to survive each minute of the day. She doesn’t always possess the best insight and decision-making, but she is, at her core, a survivor. She, like the rest of the human population, abhors the vampire race and she suddenly finds herself the very thing she despises. While she struggles to cope with her worst nightmare, she must learn the rules of her new immortality. Fun times, people. Intense struggle lands in Allie’s lap, but as I’ve stated, she is a survivor, and she finds it deep within her to continue breathing moving.ZEKE! Holy canoli, what a magnanimous character this young man turned out to be. Zeke is a part of a shoddy group of people on their quest for Eden, the human paradise, or more likely accurate, human stronghold minus vampires. Zeke has been raised by a fanatical man named Jeb, the leader of this desperate band of survivors. As with all families, Jeb’s beliefs have bled into Zeke’s mind, and he carries out his father’s bidding without question. However, one thing is clearly different about father and son: Jeb is a ‘do what needs to done regardless if it results in casualties’ kinda guy, whereas Zeke holds on tightly to his humanity, even though he questions it often. I LOVE ZEKE. Amazing character.The romance that blooms between Allie and Zeke, two very-unlikely-to-ever-be-romantically-involved people, is beautiful, subtle and real. I look forward to the struggles and triumphs in future books that these two will no doubt experience together.LASTING IMPRESSIONS: What else can I say? Aside from being so upset and frustrated that I have to wait a long ass time for the next installment, I gots nothing! Do yourself a favor and pick this one up. Now. *glare of doom*FAVORITE SCENE: Jeb regarded me with no expression. “Do you believe in God, Allison?”“No,” I said immediately. “Is this the part where you tell me I’m going to hell?”“This is hell,” Jebbadiah said, gesturing to the town around us. “This is our punishment, our Tribulation. God has abandoned this world. The faithful have already gone on to their reward, and he has left the rest of us here, at the mercy of the demons and the devils. The sins of our fathers have passed to their children, and their children’s children, and it will continue to be so until this world is completely destroyed. So it doesn’t matter if you believe in God or not, because He is not here.”