SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2)

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2) - Read review at Smash Attack Reads!Bloggers mentioned with review link:*Engarde (This review contains spoilers)*Karen-For What It's Worth*Brodie-Eleusinian MysteriesSmashtastic Entertainment Quickie: Thank you for going there, Veronica Roth.Interest in the book: Well, duh! After reading and raving and bleeding emotion overDivergent,I had to continue. This series is a bit like an addictive drug. Or maybe it's Four that is the drug...*snicker*World-building: The world of Divergent is incredible. The landscape of Insurgent remains post-apocalyptic Chicago. The five factions that have been created to rid the world of certain personality traits deemed to drive mankind toward evil are quite broken in this installment. There is chaos, treachery, betrayal and lots of death. We are allowed insight into the inner workings of other factions, and it was so interesting and terrifying to witness the mentality and perspectives of these different groups of people. The factionless are important, as well, and I was completely intrigued and angered by their role in the story.Characters: I am so, over the top, impressed with Veronica Roth's ability to write such honest, raw characters. Tris is completely melancholic and traumatized by experiences and horrified by her actions in Divergent. She feels like a shell of herself, and walks through most of the book like a lost child. She is a lost child. Her reckless, selfish behaviors had me screaming into the night, but I get it. I understand what guilt and grief does to a person. She is reacting instead of thinking. Her post-traumatic responses are controlling her, and this terrifying situation allows her no time to reconcile her actions and experiences. As Engarde mentions below, the fast-pace, dangerous plot gives Tris no opportunity to heal. None of the characters are afforded this luxury.The Tris of Insurgent is not the underdog of Divergent we were cheering for. She is the "day after" Dauntless. She is grief-stricken. All the adrenaline that coursed through her veins [to complete actions in Divergent] has now withered and what remains are the memories, guilt and self-reproach for her actions. This Tris is tired, wounded, raw, numb...haunted…and there is no safe place for her to hole up and heal. -EngardeBut damn, old-school, Dauntless Tris is still alive! She peeks through and surprises us!"I don't know where you get this delusion that I'm useless, but that what it is," I snap. "And I'm not interested in hearing about it. All I want to say is that when you stop being delusional and start feeling desperate because you're too inept to figure this out on your own, you know who to come to."I completely understand why Four has issues with trusting Tris in this installment. Her negligent,  impulsive, jump-into-the-fire actions are enough to give the strongest man a heart attack. She makes promises she doesn't keep and he must consistently question her mental stability. However, Four has his faults, too. He isn't completely honest with Tris and she finds things out that has her question his love and dedication.But let me state this, and I will be clear as I can be: This couple is powerful. They have faults and they have doubts and are plagued by memories and perceived wrongdoings, but together, they are irrefutably awe-inspiring. They have many obstacles in their way, but they overcome them all. A 1000 foot wall of titanium could not keep these two apart, and I dare say it would come down should it decide to stand in their way. Brodie says it much better:What they have is not puppy love. It's POWERFUL. It could destroy whole worlds with its quiet intensity. They are magnetic in a way only Veronica Roth can pull off. And even when they're at odds with one another, which they are for quite a lot of the novel, with tension so thick you can taste it, the relationship slows to a simmer, but the desire rages on and every touch, every look shared across a roomful of people or tense conversation filled with longing and frustration, is simply put: f****** brilliant. Their relationship is layered and complicated, nothing is simple, nothing is easy, but every obstacle is so goddamn worth it. -BrodieLasting Impressions: No one is safe. No one is what they seem. No one is 100% good or bad. This makes for a really tense reading experience that we don't often get. -KarenAs Karen so aptly states, you are on the edge of your seat this entire book. You don't know who to trust, and you are slapped in the face with the choices of and revelations about characters. And the ending. My head is still spinning from the mere fact that Veronica Roth went there. Once you think you know the setting and the rules for this world, she completely shatters them. I am wicked interested to see where the third book takes Tris, Four and the survivors.Lastly, this series, which has always had an impactful message - as do most dystopian books - raised a much deeper question. You are left reeling in your own thoughts about humanity. It is a very powerful ending that leaves you questioning your own beliefs and morals.Favorite Scene:He kisses me again, more insistent this time, his hands squeezing my waist. His breaths, my breaths, his body, my body, we are so close there is no difference.