SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Eve (Eve, #1)

Eve (Eve, #1) - Anna Carey Courtesy of Smash Attack ReadsInterest in Book: A virus has obliterated the population and the world has to rebuild. Protagonist finds out ugly truth about society and hauls ass. It's your typical dystopian format, with some great romance thrown in the mix. I love the simple layout of the cover, yet its message is mysterious. You have a young lady facing a long bridge. Does she need to escape over it, or enter a new world through it?World-Building: Eve lost her mother during the plague and at age 5, was taken to a School, where she has since lived. She has made friends in her new home, Pip and Ruby, who have been there for her every step of the way. The Teachers have taught her nothing useful about living, have ingrained in her head the evils of men, and have forbidden anyone to leave the grounds. To keep them safe from the wild dogs and evil men, of course. Eve is very intelligent nonetheless and will be the valedictorian at her graduation. Then, it's off to the "other side" to learn a trade and become a productive citizen in the new City of Sand.The night before graduation, Eve finds out a serious secret that destroys her seemingly peaceful, pleasant society. It is disturbing and made me feel very stabby. Completely naive about life out in the wild, she takes off on a journey that is hellish beyond words. You see, the New America is no longer a democracy, but has been taken over by a disturbing figure who goes by The King. Personally, I'd love to take his crown and break it over his face, but maybe Eve will do this for me in future books? Along her journey, she encounters humans worth loving and many worthy of a good kick in the balls. But she also meets Caleb. And well, maybe all men aren't so bad after all...Characters: Eve is a great character. Her naivety and absolute desperation out in the wild made her experiences so scary! She is pretty much dependent on others at the beginning, but you slowly see a shift in her confidence. I think Eve's growth will surprise us all by the end of her journey. Eve eventually meets Caleb, who has been living on the outside of the City of Sand for many years. Eve does not trust him at first, due to her misleading education, however, Caleb grows on her, and me too! I adore this guy something fierce and adored him immediately. It wasn't difficult. He's very likable and sweet, appears easy-going and lives a full life, every day.Eve is just as naive about love as the next person, since it is not explained nor encouraged in School. However, when Eve finds herself at Caleb's makeshift camp with other boys, some very young and in need of nurturing, I was quite impressed with Eve's thoughts about love and this scene touched me deeply. (I think all the scenes with those young boys broke my heart!)"You can love anyone. Love is just caring about someone very deeply. Feeling like that person matters to you, like your whole world would be sadder without them in it."Of course, Eve and Caleb develop feelings for one another, as you would expect. It's a slow, natural process and I really enjoyed watching Eve learn how to feel love as well as give it. Her entire perspective about life changed."We'll get there." There was something about the word - we - that comforted me. There was no longer him. There was no longer me. There was us.Lasting Impressions: The ending! *throws a fit* I do not accept it! Major sad face over here. I know there is a lot more to this journey, so I will try my best to remain hopeful. I really enjoyed this book and the meanings behind all the actions of the characters. There was so many beautiful, innocent interactions that were often ruined by ugly, sadistic actions. I really look forward to the next book, as I am sure we will, unfortunately, meet good ole King Asshat.Favorite Quotes:“Love was death’s only adversary, the only thing powerful enough to combat its clawing, desperate grasp.”“I had once read, in one of those pre-plague books in the library, that love was bearing witness. That it was the act of watching someone's life, of simply being there to say: your life is worth seeing.”