SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Unearthly (Unearthly Series #1)

Unearthly (Unearthly Series #1) - Courtesy of Smash Attack ReadsOtherworldy and Beautiful.Interest in the book: I love Angel mythology and while I haven’t read a lot of it, the books I have read have been very entertaining. The sub-genre is one I will always continue to explore. Of course, this book cover is what caught my eye first, as it is an incredibly designed cover that represents the whimsical, dramatic theme of the story.World-building: I was immediately drawn into the story via Clara’s discussion with her mother about her “purpose.” Aka, her angelic mission. It seems as though every angel is given only one mission, which seems like a waste of talent to me, but I assume there is reason for it. Clara spends the first half of the book trying to figure out her “purpose", and the second half of the book trying to figure when her “purpose" will take place. On the natural side of things, the author did a bang up job at describing the majestic beauty of Wyoming, so much so that I must visit this state!Characters: Clara is a great character. She’s down to earth (no pun intended), fair, compassionate, strong-willed. She becomes emotional at times due to being in the dark about her “purpose” in life, literally. It’s understandable. I’d be on edge too. I loved Clara’s mother and her brother, Jeff. I enjoyed their supportive relationship.I LOVED both Christian and Tucker, in very different ways. I would be content for Clara to keep her current boy-toy, but as Hallowed suggests, her “purpose” may very well get in the way of love, or maybe her “purpose" is to find love. Hmmm…Lasting Impressions: Reading this book both via audio as well as hardcopy was fun! I listened to audio while driving for work, and would find up where I left off in the actual book at night. I loved the voice actor! She was a great imitator for the different characters and I enjoyed her tone and intonation.The ending was dramatic but a bit ‘meh.’ I wasn’t blown away by the revelations. However, I am extremely curious about Clara’s mother and this Black Wing character. I have some theories. All in all, Unearthly delivers entertainment, drama and romance; a captivating story told through beautiful writing.