SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Bumped

Bumped - Megan McCafferty Smash Attack Reads: http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/04/review-bumped-by-megan-mccafferty.htmlRating: 2.5This book will likely make your skin crawl. Not because of the setting or characters, but because of society. The Human Progressive Sterility Virus has ensured that anyone over the age of 18 will be infertile. To ensure survival, society has easily converted the population into prostituting teens out to couples who want children. In fact, it has become such a regularly promoted part of life, that ‘pre-bump’ teens can buy a FunBump (complete with uterobic activity!) so they can pretend until it’s their time to reproduce. *gag* And for a young lady nearing her 20s who hasn’t yet ‘bumped’ or reproduced, she may as well hole up in a cave for all of eternity. Add ugly issues about what happens to people who don’t want to ‘give up’ their babies, RePro Reps who who jump for joy when they snag the highest bidder for your bumping pleasure, and the frivolous views of teens on pregnancy, and, well, you’ve got yourself a seriously sickening, messed up world.Both Melody and Harmony were annoying as narrators and the use of slang was the pits. I don’t mind a small amount here and there, and I even use the phrase “for serious” in real life. However, the overuse of slang throughout the book became a tad annoying. I think that might be some of my issue with Melody’s character, who I started out liking more but ended up liking less. Harmony was the extreme God-fearing one of the bunch and her extremist views easily switched my interest button Off. It was so extreme that I thought she was trying to convert me, too! That being said, I’m surprised that I ended up liking her more in the end. She seemed more genuine to me, and I liked seeing her go through the trials and tribulations of discovering herself. While I honestly never connected with either character, I admire both of them for their courage and strength to take a stand against what they believe is wrong and unjust. In a society such as this, it is important to not loose yourself in the shuffle and become an exact copy of your neighbor.I was completely uninterested in the book until about 50% of the way through it. I just could not connect to the characters or the plot. However, a certain event occurs surrounding a switch-a-roo of sorts, and I finally wanted to see where the story would go. The ending was actually great. I love how you don’t know if you can trust certain characters. Finding out their true motives will be exciting to uncover. Zen, Melody’s endearing best guy friend, was the saving grace of this book. I adored his character from the beginning and I look forward to more of him in the rest of the series. I also look forward to seeing Melody and Harmony fight for their rights, all the while examining and challenging the deepest, darkest, scariest parts of their existence. I’m always up for reading about sociopolitical issues in a creative way, as I hope that they make an impact on the few who take the time decipher the underlying message.