SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

The Future of Us

The Future of Us - Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler Read this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/11/future-of-us-what-would-you-do-if-you.htmlSmashtastic Synopsis: The year is 1996, when the internet is still a new fad. Meet Emma and Josh, best friends and neighbors since they were in diapers. Emma receives her first computer, a gift from her father, and an America Online CR-ROM from Josh. They boot up the PC and log on to AOL, only to discover themselves on Facebook fifteen years later. Things gets complicated when they try to alter their future with their choices today. Will their destinies change for better, or for worse?Interest in the book: Yani first told me about this book, and then one day, it magically appeared in my mailbox (I LOVE when that happens!). I was a high schooler in the late 90s, and definitely remember the AOL craze, so I was all over this one. Characters: Emma and Jay are your typical teenagers, dealing with school, friends and romantic blunders. Two kids, two destinies. I did enjoy their relationship, and really thought they looked out for each other throughout the story. I enjoyed the growth and maturity they both experienced, especially Emma. The secondary characters, Tyson and Kellan, were a bit more interesting and dynamic, in my opinion. I always seem to like secondary characters more!Worldbuilding: I LOVED the 90s throwbacks, like “Welcome” and “Goodbye” via AOL, the noise a modem makes when it’s logging on to the net. A discman! Dave Matthews and Green Day. Wayne’s World. The nostalgia was intense! There were some really fun Facebook status updates from the future, as well, that were quite funny when put into context of this story. “Glee + Netflix = My Life.I also loved the little bits of information that proves how far society has comes since the 90s. It also proves just how much further we still need to travel. “We just learned in sociology that they don’t allow same-sex marriage anywhere in the world. Isn’t that crazy? That’s what my next editorial is about.”Lasting Impressions: All in all, the story was light and easy to digest. It isn’t an amazing book, but is was entertaining. I think the story really drives home the importance of living for today. As my favorite musical states…NO DAY BUT TODAY!Smashtastic Entertainment Scale: Great PotentialFavorite Quotes"I have a computer in my car? Josh is going to freak out when he hears this. And if Kevin saved a life, maybe he’s a doctor. Or a paramedic. Or a fireman! That’d be cool because firemen have great bodies."