SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

Where She Went

Where She Went - Gayle Forman Read this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/12/where-she-went-my-heart-hurts-and-my.htmlMy heart hurts and my soul smiles as I relish in the magnificent beauty of this story...Interest in the book: After reading If I Stay, I had no choice but to find out the fate of Mia and Adam. I dare you to ignore them.Characters: In this book, Adam is our narrator and we are in his head for this agonizing, tumultuous journey. If you did not already love him, you will quickly fall as his apparent misery and longing for things lost will have you a sobbing mess. Adam is undeniably broken in this book, and struggles with the reality that Mia left for Julliard and never turned back. He has risen to rock star status and while music was once cathartic for him, he can no longer stand to be in the spotlight, much less out of his room. Adam’s depression is palpable, and through song lyrics at the beginning of every chapter, we get to see how he used music to emote. But it’s not enough anymore.While I became instantly angry with Mia for leaving Adam behind without explanation, I knew she had good reason, in her mind. Whether or not I agreed with her decision is a moot point, but I respected her decision because it was how she chose to deal with the pain from If I Stay. However, the reason why she chose to leave him behind…is gut-wrenching, soul-ripping. Heartache on a page.Worldbuilding: Much like If I Stay, this book is set over a 24 hour period. I really enjoyed the song lyrics at the beginning of every chapter, and it reinforces how much I believe that music, whether your write it, play it, sing it or listen to it, is cathartic and meaningful. The story is set in present tense, but just as we learned of Mia’s life through flashbacks, we are presented with Adam’s flashbacks to help fill in the past 3 years. It’s not a fun journey but it’s needed so the reader can understand Adam’s distress. The story is set in New York City, and once these two destined characters meet, we get to experience NYC as Mia takes Adam around to her favorite spots. The story culminates at Mia’s apartment, where heart and soul are delivered to you, a la Gayle Forman style.Lasting Impressions: All in all, I enjoyed this book much better than If I Stay, but only because of how beautifully If I Stay set up the history and experiences that Mia and Adam endured. Adam’s POV was much more intense and interesting, but I mostly loved seeing Mia through his eyes. My favorite passage below is the perfect example of how much Adam loathed and loved Mia simultaneously, but in reality, his pain and rejection were clouding his undying, passionate love for her. He knew it. We knew it. Now it’s Mia’s turn to be enlightened.Favorite Passage:I look at her there in the shadows of the shut-down city, her hair falling onto her face, and I can see her trying to figure out if I’ve lost it. And I have to fight the urge to take her by the shoulders and slam her against a shuttered building until we feel vibrations ringing through both of us. Because I suddenly want to hear her bones rattle. I want to feel the softness of her flesh give, to hear her gasp as my hip bone jams into her. I want to yank her head back until her neck is exposed. I want to rip my hands through her hair until her breath is labored. I want to make her cry and then lick up the tears. And then I want to take my mouth to hers, to devour her alive, to transmit all the things she can’t understand.