SmashAttackReads

Smash Attack Reads...Where Smash Attacks Books!

Another avenue to let out my inner book geek? Squee!

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies Series #1)

I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore EDIT: I am so disappointed to learn about the author, James Frey, and the controversy surrounding his work. I knew nothing about this man and I’m quite disgusted that I enjoyed this book so much.The Smoking Gun: A Million Little Lies: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/celebrity/million-little-liesGawker: Welcome to James Frey’s Young Adult Fiction Sweatshop: http://gawker.com/#!5689764/welcome-to-james-freys-young-adult-novel-sweatshopCheck out this review at Smash Attack Reads: http://smashattackreads.blogspot.com/2011/02/review-i-am-number-four-by-pittacus.htmlI hate when I ignore a book for whatever reason, only to finally read it and really like it. When everybody was talking about this book last year, I didn’t pay much attention to it. I don’t know why because it certainly falls in my genre interests. However, I finally picked it up, and I’m very glad I did. I don’t read too many books from the male perspective, and I enjoyed John’s voice.I enjoyed the lore of the story. I thought at first that these kids may have been bio-engineered, but they’re a special sect of the race known as The Garde, protectors of their kind. The Mogadorians (uber creepy!) sucked the life out of their own planet and then came for Lorien to take it over for the resources. They are ruthless, malicious bastards. And now, they are trying to kill the remaining Lorics on Earth, but that isn’t their only plan…I was wondering about Henri for a while until it was explained that he is also from the planet. Henri is John’s Cêpan, or Keeper. His sole focus in life is to keep John safe and help him develop his Legacies so that he can fight off the Mogadorians and allow Lorien to be rebuilt by its people. I enjoyed John and Henri’s relationship immensely. There were some intense scenes between the two of them and I could feel the love and commitment emanating off the pages.